All I can say about this burrito bowl is YUM!
After too many years of being deprived of good Mexican food living outside the States, I learned how to make my own burrito bowls at home.
…and it’s so easy.
If you’re looking for a healthy filling, hearty lunch, this is it.
The separate components in this burrito bowl are so simple to make and when mixed together you won’t believe you’re eating a homemade meal. Plus, you’re getting protein, veggies, carbs, and healthy fats all in one dish.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- ⅔ cup of chopped cilantro
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 can of black beans, washed
- 2 cups chopped romain lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 inch of a jalapeño, minced
- the juice of 3 limes
- Bring the rice, water and salt to a boil in a small pot on high heat. Once boiling, lower the heat to the lowest and let cook covered for 15 minutes until rice is fully cooked through. Add the juice of 1½ limes and ½ the chopped cilantro to the rice and mix.
- Combine the tomatoes, other ½ of cilantro, red onion, jalapeño, juice of 1 lime, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Dice (or slice) the avocado and combine with salt and pepper and the juice of ½ a a lime. Set aside
- Assemble the bowl by adding rice to the bottom, and lettuce, tomato salsa, avocado, and black beans surrounding it. Enjoy!