Now that I’m trying to get back on the healthy track, I came up with this grilled chicken sandwich recipe that’s healthy and will keep my pregnant tummy full and satisfied. I need the carbs from the baguette to keep me going through the day! Post-baby, I’ll switch to a big asian slaw salad with grilled chicken minus the baguette.
This grilled chicken sandwich is perfect for a healthy dinner or lunch. You get your protein with the chicken, veggies in the vinegar-y asian style slaw and your carbs from the crispy baguette. The combination of the sweet sour slaw with juicy chicken tucked inside a warm baguette is amazing. Oh and don’t forget the sliced red chilis on top. Spicy food is great for boosting your metabolism and adding that extra kick of flavor.
- 2 slices of chicken breast
- 1 baguette
- 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced
- parsley or cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed oil
- Marinate the chicken breasts in ⅓ cup soy sauce, 1½ tablespoons of honey, ½ tablespoon sesame oil, brown sugar, and salt and pepper for at least 1 hour.
- Combine the thinly sliced cabbage, fennel, cucumbers and bell pepper in a bowl and dress with the remaining soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and sesame oil.
- Heat a grill pan on high heat and add 1 tablespoon sunflower seed oil. Once hot, add the marinated chicken breasts. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side without moving so that they'll get those beautiful grill marks. Once cooked through, remove the chicken breasts from the pan.
- Slice a baguette to the size of your choice and toast in the oven for 1-2 minutes. Assemble the sandwiches by adding your chicken breast, cabbage slaw and garnishing with red chilis and parsley. You can also add some Sriracha for an added kick!