The American in me loves brunch’s newest craze, the avocado toast, and the Middle Eastern in me thought why don’t I switch the toast for pita bread and add spicy harissa on top? The result is this thing of beauty you see here!
One toasted mini pita, lemony avocado, arugula, a perfectly poached egg and some heat to top it all off make this fusion brunch avocado toast recipe so amazing!
- 2 mini pitas
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup of arugula
- 2 egg
- ½ a lemon
- sliced jalapeno (optional)
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- To poach the egg, bring water to a boil in a small sauce pan and add vinegar.
- Take a spoon and swirl the water in the pot before cracking the egg into it to create a whirlpool that will keep the white in place.
- Turn the heat off and cover for 5 minutes.
- Remove the eggs very gently with a slotted spoon after 5 minutes.
- Toast the mini pitas, slice the avocado and place on top.
- Squeeze ½ a lemon on each pita with avocado.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the avocado and top with arugula.
- Gently place the poached egg over that and a teaspoon of harissa. Sliced jalapeño can be added depending on how much heat you can take 🙂